My Poke Bowls

Kelly's Recipe: Poke Bowls

My love for poke all started on my first trip to Oahu where I discovered this popular and tasty dish. I couldn't get enough of it, so I ate it pretty much everyday during my time there. When my family and I left to return home, the only thing I could think of was how much I was going to miss the poke (what a foodie thing to say) and where could I find anything like this back home?! Not only is poke fresh and delicious, it's super easy to make at home! Out of these two poke bowls, one is my own creation which is a spicy Japanese mayo ahi poke and the other is Martha Cheng's Shoyu Ahi which is featured in her own cookbook called the "The Poke Cookbook". I totally recommend this cookbook to any of you who want to learn how to make poke! Its super easy to follow, it has great tips on how to store and properly prepare your fish, as well as vegan recipes too! As a first timer making poke, Martha's cookbook was very helpful in helping me create my beloved poke.



















































For Martha's Shoyu Ahi: You can purchase her cookbook on amazon! Or you can maybe find it at your local Costco like I did!

For my Spicy Japanese Mayo Ahi Poke:

Serves: 2

Ingredients:

1lb sushi-grade tuna

1/2 cup white onion

1 clove garlic

3 tbsp Japanese mayo

1 tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp sesame oil

1/2 tsp of sambal oelek or sriracha

1  chopped scallion for garnish

Preparation:

1) Cut tuna into 3/4 inch cubes

2) Thinly slice the onion and mince the garlic, then add to the tuna.

3) Combine the mayo, soy sauce, sesame oil and sambal oelek into a bowl and mix.

4) Pour sauce on top and gently mix.

5) Serve on a bed of warm black rice and sprinkle the scallion on top for garnish.

*For the black rice, follow cooking instructions
1 cup black rice
2 tsp of rice vinegar
1 tsp of sesame oil
A pinch of salt














Comments

Popular Posts